This meeting brought RTC leaders together with representatives from the nation’s top environmental and public health agencies, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), to improve the use of Superfund Research Program (SRP) science. The ultimate goal of this meeting was to increase collaboration among these three agencies (NIEHS being the third). To use a scientific term we are all familiar with, the three entities represent a close symbiotic relationship. Communication is the key, however, to ensuring that we are all aware of how we can best make these partnerships work.
This meeting was entirely about inspiring dialogue and communicating new ideas for how to better utilize the resources available to us so that we all may do our jobs more effectively.
Goals for the Meeting
- Enhanced understanding of work practices within EPA and ATSDR and their science and science communication needs as they relate to the Superfund cleanup program.
- Enhanced knowledge of potential collaborators within EPA and ATSDR.
- Specific plans to implement new, innovative research translation efforts with EPA and ATSDR.
(According to over 95% of meeting participants, each of these three goals were met.)
Summary Documents and Handouts
(1) Meeting Agenda
(2) Meeting Participant List
(3) Summary of Morning Panel and Discussion – Laying a Foundation for Working Effectively with USEPA and ATSDR
(4) Summary of Afternoon Panel and Discussion – USEPA and ATSDR Resources That We Need to Know About
(5) SRP EPA-ATSDR Contacts (compiled by MDB)
(6) Action Items Emerging from RTC Workshop (**We welcome your comments and suggestions**)
Session PowerPoint Presentations
(1) Laying a Foundation for Working Effectively with EPA and ATSDR (AM Session)
**Presentation made by Deborah Burgin, PhD, ATSDR
(2) SRP Search Tools (PM Session)
** Presentation made by Maureen Avakian and Larry Reed, MDB
(3) Human Health Risk Assessment and Information for SRP (PM Session)
** Presentation made by Reeder Sams, PhD, NCEA/EPA
(4) ORD Regional Science Program (PM session)
**Presentation Made by Ron Landy, ORD/EPA
(5) Development of Environmental Education Materials for Health Professionals (PM Session)
**Presentation made by Brian Tencza, ATSDR
(6) Tribute to the Late KC Donnelly
(1) Risk Management/Communication PPT
(2) Superfund Technology and Liaison (STL) Program Fact Sheet
(3) EPA Office of Solid Waste & Emergency Response Org Chart
(4) EPA Office of Superfund Remediation and Technology Innovation Org Chart *updated 9/11*
(5) Superfund Remedial Process PPT
(6) EPA Superfund Glossary of Acronyms/Terms *new item*